Wednesday 21 September 2011

Click.


[Disclaimer: I do not own the PPC.  That is the property of Jay and Acacia.  I do own Drew and Lucius.  Just a heads up, this story swaps between three points of view.  The first bit (normal font) is Lucius’ side of an interview of some sort.  The second bit (italics) is the conversation between Drew and Lucius as they prepare to get pictures taken.  The final bit (in grey) is Drew’s side of an interview that takes place after Lucius’ bit.  Some parts of this will make more sense if you have read Drew's backstory bit, Lucius' backstory bit, Lucius and Drew’s third mission, and the subsequent intermissions.  Of course, it’s not necessary to read these, but if you haven’t already, you may want to.  Thanks to JulyFlame, Aster, and FlareShard for beta duty! Special thanks to JulyFlame for the picture!]


Working with Drew?  It’s... interesting.  I don’t mean it’s bad.  Definitely not bad.  He’s a nice guy.  Just a little... unhinged, I suppose.  It’s not his fault.

     “I still don’t see why we need to do this.”
“I’m assuming it’s for our files.”
“Well, why didn’t they let us wear our uniforms?”
“Drew, the last thing I wanted was to see you change.  I’m just as unhappy about this as you are.”

     I like Lucius.  He’s nice.  It’s good to have a partner again, so it works out pretty well, I think.

     “Well, at least I’m wearing pants.”
“They don’t have anything like what I’d normally wear.  You’re lucky.  You wear jeans with your uniform.”
“Whatever.  I’m still the only one wearing pants at the moment.”

It’s... hard to explain.  I don’t like going into details, but, well, let’s just say I don’t like opening up.  It’s not that I don’t trust Drew, it’s just... I don’t want to have to relive the past.

     “Drew?”
“Mmmmyes?”
Why are you wearing a corset?”
“It’s the manliest thing I can find.”
“Take that off.”
“Fine, geeze.  You don’t need to be a jerk about it.”

I don’t know why, but I don’t know that much about him.  I’ve... tried bringing his past up, but I don’t think he hears me.  Well, no, that’s a lie.  He hears me, but he... I don’t know.  He gets really quiet.

     “That shirt looks pretty tight...”
“Shut up.  It’s either that or a tropic-print shirt.”
“Hmm...  I like this.”
“Good!  Liking stuff is fun!”

I feel guilty about it sometimes.  I know he’s interested, but I don’t want to have to explain all of this.  Maybe I should, but, still.  I’ve been hurt in the past.  I don’t know if I could take that happening again.

     Click
“Alright, I’m done.  Now, you need to get your stuff together!”
“Drew.  Patience is a virtue.”
“A virtue which I am sadly lacking, and will likely continue to lack for quite some time.”
“Fair enough.  Have you seen my knife?”
“Nope.  I forgot my machete, think they’ll have a replacement?”

     I don’t know, I’d imagine he has his reasons.  I figure he’ll tell me when he’s ready.  I guess it’s none of my business.

     Click.
“Drew, why are you wearing a floral shirt?”
“YOU’RE NOT MY REAL MOM!”
“Fine.  Take the bloody picture so we can be done with this.”

No, really?  I never would have guessed that I worry about him.  He’s my friend.  And, in some messed up way, I feel that... that he’s my responsibility.  Yeah, it’s stupid, but still.  I think he’s been affected a lot more by what he found out than he lets on.  He buries his problems.  Someday, he’s going to have to face it.  And, well, that’s how life goes, isn’t it?

     Click.

Of course I care about him!  He’s my partner!  And my friend, but still.  What?  No!  I... I don’t have any interest in him!  I mean, yeah, sure, I lean that way, but still.  He’s... not exactly my type.  So, no, I don’t care about him like that.
What?  No.
No.
We’re not going to talk about Tom.
This is over now.  Good day.

     “Well, glad that’s done with."
“I’m hungry.”
“So am I, mate.  Let’s head back.”

No comments:

Post a Comment